At the corner of Sandy Pond and Westford Road, Ayer, Massachusetts
The first public school, Boston Latin School, was established in Boston in 1635. The first schoolhouse was wooden, which set a standard for centuries. As education spread across New England, so did the schools.
Then a few brickyards sprung up in the Boston area, and especially in Medford. By the 1800s, the New England Brick Company produced 15 million and 20 million bricks were made each year. More the affluent the area was, the more they wanted bricks, included schoolhouses. In the 1820s, the Industrial Revolution was in full force, which influenced the “common school” movement.
The below red brick single room schoolhouse was built in 1869 for the children of Groton. When Ayer broke apart from Groton, the school became part of the new community's school system and continued in that role until closed in 1906.